1-2 Days Before
• Exfoliate! Scrub your entire body using an exfoliating glove or mitt. Make sure to exfoliate any dry areas such as feet, knees, elbows, neck, underarms and back of arms. Avoid any oil-based exfoliators or products that contain sulfates. Ask your technician about exfoliation techniques and products that she recommends.
• Shave or wax at least 8 hours before appointment.
• Avoiding using bar soaps, DOVE, DR. BRONNERS or DIAL products. These will disrupt the pH balance of your skin and result in an uneven tan, patchiness and sometimes orange results.
• Schedule your manicures, pedicures, waxing, facials and massages at least the day before your appointment. The oils used during these services will create a barrier between your skin will result in an uneven tan.
- Wear dark, loose clothing and slip-on shoes to your appointment. If it’s raining or snowing, make sure you pack clothes that would protect you from water drops on your new tan. Avoid white clothing, tight pants, and socks.
- Rinse your body without any soaps, shampoos or conditioners.
- Avoid using lotions, oils, perfume, makeup and deodorant before your tan.
- Change into a loose fitting top and bottom, no bras or tight clothing. Sweatpants, pajamas, flip flops and/or loose long sleeve t-shirts are best! Avoid tight clothing or clothing that allows your skin to touch skin.
- Wait to shower or get wet for a minimum of 12 hours, unless instructed. In the first warm water rinse, completely remove all cosmetic bronzers with cool water until the water runs clear.
- After 24 hours, keep your skin hydrated by moisturizing daily. Stay away from mineral oil, AHAs, petroleum, ethanol, exfoliating and alcohol based products as these will strip your tan faster. Hydrated skin makes your tan last longer.
- Avoid over showering, long hot showers and baths, loofahs and exfoliants of any kind for 5-7 days. We recommend using a cleanser specific for tanned skin to help protect your spray tan.
- DO NOT-Sit directly on leather or light colored fabric right after your session. It is best to sit on a cloth or towel.
- DO NOT-Exercise or get wet until after your post tan shower. Avoid water altogether until your first shower.
- DO NOT-Exfoliate until your tan has faded completely. Exfoliating will make your skin appear blotchy.
- DO NOT Freak Out! Your tan is not washing off! When you shower the first time the cosmetic bronzer will wash off revealing your new GLO tanned skin underneath. The tan left behind will gently and gradually fade until your next exfoliation. Your skin type affects how often you need to tan. Dryer skin exfoliates faster, so hydrating with lotion between sessions is essential to keep your tan GLO-ing for as long as possible.
SPRAY TANNING FAQs
HOW DOES GLO WORK?
Once inside the portable tent, your body will be sprayed with a solution that contains a certain percentage of DHA (DiHydroxyAcetone) — a colorless sugar which reacts with the amino acids on the top layer of your skin — and over a period of a few hours turns a golden brown, a natural looking tan. DHA is FDA approved, non-toxic and non-carcinogenic.
WILL MY SKIN TURN ORANGE?
Nope – You will not turn orange! We guarantee it! It’s an impossibility due to the face that Glo Mobile Tanning uses high quality products and our techs are all meticulously trained. We customize the solution used depending on the client’s skin tone and what the client wishes the end result to look like… a lighter tan, medium, or darker looking tan. Whatever color you choose, the end result will be a golden, natural-looking tan.
SHOULD I EXFOLIATE BEFORE THE TANNING?
Absolutely, exfoliation before your spray tan will help your tan to last as long as possible. It is best to exfoliate 24-48 hours before your appointment. We are happy to recommend several great exfoliation products if you’d like. See spray tanning tips for more suggestions on how to make your GLO last longer.
WHERE DO YOU SET UP THE TANNING TENT AT A MOBILE APPOINTMENT?
We come to you with a small pop-up tent and a small duffel bag. We can set up in a bedroom, bath-room, or any other room you feel most comfortable (and warm).
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SPRAY TAN ME?
The spray tanning itself takes about 3-5 minutes. We just need a few minutes to set up, ask you a few questions to customize your color, answer any of your questions or concerns, spray you and then checkout. The entire appointment takes about 15 min. or less.
WILL I END UP WITH OVER-SPRAY ON MY CARPET OR WALLS AT A MOBILE APPOINTMENT?
Nope – Our portable spray tanning booth that is set up in your home will catch all, if any, overspray that can occur. You will never even know we were there, except that you are left with a beautiful GLO, of course.
WILL I LOOK UMM, STRANGE… WILL PEOPLE KNOW I HAVE BEEN SPRAY TANNED?
Trust me, we’ll find exactly the right shade for your skin. If you want your tan to be so dark that everyone will notice and ask you where you’ve been vacationing, we can certainly do that. On the other hand, if you’d rather be more subtle, we can give you a look that is stunning without screaming out. You will have a natural looking GLO, and we guarantee you’ll be thrilled with how it looks!
HOW LONG WILL MY TAN LAST?
About 7-10 days. When you are spray tanned, the active ingredient is called DHA (DiHydroxyAcetone) — which is derived from sugar cane — essentially bonds to the top layer of your skin. How you take care of your skin before and during your GLO can determine how long your tan will last as well as how it fades. Doing simple things like applying lotion twice a day and blotting off instead of toweling off after showers can help prolong the life of your GLO. See spray tanning tips for more suggestions on how to make your GLO last longer.
CAN I INVITE MY FRIENDS?
Yes! – Invite your friends over and have a GLO-out party in your home or office or bring a friend with you to the GloStudio.
WHAT DO I WEAR?
Females can wear anything or nothing–whatever you are comfortable with. If you decide to wear something, just keep those tan lines in mind if you’ll be wearing a swimsuit, formal dress, or costume. Males can wear anything as long as they wear something. Most males choose to wear their underwear or compression shorts.
WILL SWIMMING FADE MY TAN?
Yes. Soaking in any water will fade your tan. Chlorine pools and hot tubs will noticeably fade your tan. If you are spending time on the beach remember to keep your skin hydrated!
WILL GETTING A SPRAY TAN PROTECT ME FROM GETTING SUN BURNED?
Absolutely not. You will still get sunburned or tan as you normally would without a spray tan. Protect that skin and wear your sunscreen!
FDA SPRAY TAN RECOMMENDATIONS
Precautionary Guidelines for spray tanning with DHA
The FDA has advised that all users of DHA spray tanning services avoid inhaling or ingesting DHA. When using all-over sunless tanning sprays containing DHA it may be difficult to avoid exposure to sensitive areas including eyes, lips, mucous membranes or internally.
The FDA recommends you take the following protective measures during your sunless tanning session:
• Using Protective Eyewear
• Use of Nose Filters
• Sealing Lips with Lip Balm
• Use of Protective Undergarments
Please request the above items from your sunless technician.
If you have additional concerns, please consult with your health care provider. To understand the complete FDA stance on DHA please visit www.FDA.gov